Alpha 0.6 of SpokenWord.org now seems fairly stable. The biggest change since 0.5 is the deployment of Categories as I blogged about a few weeks ago. I decided to copy the iTunes taxonomy after all for a few reasons.
- Although the sub-categorization is poor, the top-level categories are reasonable.
- All taxonomies are flawed.
- You can spend the rest of your life trying to tweak a taxonomy.
- No matter what you do, a lot of people won’t like your sense of organization.
- I can pass the blame onto Apple.
- Since most programs are submitted to SpokenWord.org via RSS and with <itunes:category> elements, we get automatic categorization of the majority of programs.
- When we generate RSS output, there’s a decent chance we can automatically include an <itunes:category> element that iTunes will accept.