In response to my post a few days ago about my Creative Commons Dilemma, Denise Howell pointed out a CC license I had somehow missed. It’s a license designed specifically to permit sampling. The version I am considering reads (in its summary form):
You are free:
- To sample, mash-up, or otherwise creatively transform this work for commercial or noncommercial purposes.
Under the following conditions:
- You must give the original author credit
- You may not use this work to advertise for or promote anything but the work you create from it.
- For any reuse, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.
- You may not perform, display, or distribute copies of this whole work for any purpose.
The formal version is here.
As Denise pointed out, there may be a loophole or two for my purposes, but living with those loopholes might be outweighed by the benefits of remaining within the Creative Commons umbrella.